6/12/2011

Allergic to Centuries


Okay maybe it’s just the cottonwood blooming but anyway you cut it, this weekend's rides were trying.

The original plan was to knock out a Century to Squamish on Saturday. After hitting Deep Cove then Whytecliff we turned around because of rain on the Sea-to-Sky. Plan 'B' would be to complete the Century by way of UBC and SW Marine in Vancouver. By the time we hit Park Royal mall I couldn’t take it anymore – my allergies won. There was no way I could do another 100km with this kind of attack. The allergy med I took earlier in the morning came up a huge FAIL! It’s near impossible to ride when you’re completely stuffed, sneezy, runny and coughing (because you have to breathe only through your mouth). The group consensus was to Kevork the ride and re-try on Sunday. We still got 70km in so not a complete waste.

This morning I front-loaded with a different allergy med and we set off on our Century to Fort Langley. Again my allergies were active until around Pitt Meadows but, thankfully, nothing like the previous day. We got to Fort Langley and rode a 32km loop around the area to bring the day’s total to 166km.
Chili bootin' across the Golden Ears bridge!

We were all a bit on the sluggish side today. Tony’s still not 100% and Krista was battling some knee pain (that I think we may have figured out now). I felt fine after my allergies cleared up but totally hit the wall at the end of the Barnett. Definitely not our fastest Century on record and at the end we were just happy to be done. We’re riding a bit out of sync when it comes to timing our breaks but other than that, I feel we’ll be ready to tackle the STP in a few weeks. Time sure flies!   

No comments:

Post a Comment